Monday, May 28, 2012

Interrogation for Big House Dances

Deeply hurt, but you go on smiling in a child's wings, why?
I begin with parody and imitation
And then mocking the misunderstood imitation of an imitation
And we hear the mask. So we wear one. For purposes of aggression as well as self-defense
Behind it we get our work done--
And don't you keep a syncopated dance band around for propaganda purposes?
Like Hitler did?
Is it true his propaganda chief studied romantic literature to get unreasonable?
How did you get so unreasonable?
How did I get so unreasonable?
My father loved Duke Ellington, he listened in sudden ways. Abandonment blocks the exits. Especially the accidental kind. Do you believe in death?    
I don't either.  The opposite of life is life, you see, I mean, you lookin' kinda famous in these recent opinions. Do you wanna smoke some trees? Wanna be needed like numbness in the ghetto? I lost my concentration and it got real, when I wasn't paying attention, I was falling in love again. With the changing same man. I thought this was just a dance. Is this another ceremonial moment? Whatever.  I fanned an old polaroid of us practicing the lindy hop in our wobbly sepia living room, hoping it would smear again, like possibility, but it just got clearer