Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rigorous Mystery



Rhapsodist
No urge toward comprehensiveness
Or the leniency
from the rumor Duke Ellington started when he was still pretending to hate Tarzan's Theme "remember then, that when a colored man is full of jive he isn't always that way because he wants to be, but because when he is sincere he usually isn't taken seriously."
You're no rebel but you're a fascinating monster
But you know I'll never tell
I like you (that way)
Until you snap
So right about now, your Messiah habit
has run out of I
a surplus of color
A purple bride and her sheer
Drapes. Humble, but I meant to say phony
You know me, but I meant to say
don't
But I was preoccupied, thinking about my elegant nihilistic sideshow coon side and
how well it pays to be obscene and demure in the same gesture
When he is sincere he usually disappears, disapproves of his own suffering or finds a reason to rig it with the narrow ecstasy of escape. Frantic. Safe from contentment so that the music keeps sounding hip and desperate and as sickeningly clever as the everything-factions of the interlude