Sunday, May 22, 2011

Portrait of a Monologue in Audio Color





When I was comin' up playin' in the band, I wasn't reading music. I was bullshittin, but I was in the band

And my father got me an alto out of a pawn shop, and I just picked the mother fucker up, and just started playin' it. And that's the way that went . So he was a musician, he played all the instruments, and all this shit. And my sister, see, she was playing, and I'd get close to her, and pick up on the parts, you know. Playing marches and all that shit

And then finally my father said, one day, Candice play your part


I knew god damn well that was my ass, (he knew I wasn't reading) Play your part, Candice


Now Lester play your part. I couldnt read a mother fuckin note. Not a god damn note. He said, Get up! (you know he don't curse like I do) Get up and get your fuckin' ass, and work you some scales. Get out.

Now you know my heart was broke. I went and cried, gave a bottle of tear drops. And shit I said, well I'll come back and get these mother fuckers if that's the way they want it.

So I went away and learned how to read the music, still by myself

I came back in the band, played this music and shit. Cause all that time I was copying on the records, also with the music, so I could fuck these mother fuckers completely up

So I went in there and they threw the goddam marches out and I read the music and shit, and everything was great. But what was in my heart.. Why all the motherfuckers laughed when they put me out, when I couldn't read, they would come up and say, would you show me how to.. play like that

I'm not gonna show you shit, you rusty mother fucker. So that's the way that went down.


(Imma take my time Imma just try a little, if it don't come out right, fuck it)