Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Dear Babylon,

When mom fell in love with Dick Gregory I tightened   my  eyes   and   pictured  a sled  in   the  desert. Her in the sled. Me with the water. Voices like sheets of ice or edie sedgwick biting warhol’s neck til red soup commercial  showroom   warm with iodized salt.  I’m all about the sea catching slave bills on the walls of these museum mansions. I’m always the leader   the  one who casts   the heaping  net  of reckless judgment  to say   get   away    get  better   get  a  way I respect.  Heckle the mirror of yesterday into a confession.  Of what? What should it confess? This used to be a minstrel balcony before Eleanor Roosevelt read poetry from it, the sicilian tour guide reminds me of every failed hunt, every wild urge  Get it, gurl. I might have said, to the mother, lovingly repelled and counting melted freckles that amounted to wounded suns. How’d I get so ruthless? How’d the edge get this close? Chuck D said nobody is safe when he strangled William Buckley on that desert sled. I promise I rather be deserted than situated opposite a rehearsed pledge of human faithfulness. Stevie’s fulfillingness plays and balloons pop right on the sand, and pop mutiny,  righteous and shrill, I’m better than this,  I promise I’m better   than   this,  he  promises.  Don’t look at the eclipse don’t touch its sizzling driftless  scissor  burn. That      tolerance  is   reckless    haughty    upcycled    crest   of  lost or overworn   love.   I can’t   stand  the  way  she sucks  fruit    not  my mom   this other woman    meant   to  be  a friend    I can’t    stand   her  voice  on entering  a new   room   and the way  it pitches  up in search of attention and acceptance,   and anyone  who tries  to be cute, I can’t stand them.     And the man  I   love    I want   him  to   adjust  his shoulders    and become  Malcolm X or Miles before  he hit.  Tie around the elbow.  Me on my knees in front of him, not in supplication but  in supply  and demand and  aching oneness.    And as for  the framed bill of sale of a slaveboy called “Mink”  on the wall at this  castle   we toured   like   hungry  mice,  I can’t  stand us. Our  famine    our    dumb   hunger/   I’m  using my stomach muscles   to   sit   coldly   on the  hood  of   an   eagle   and  heal   my perfect   heart.   Here’s  where  I start   to stammer     here’s   where the plan  to murder   false intentions    arrived  at while  on my back  with legs  spread  in   happy  baby,    squeals  like  a  victim        I am not the victim  here      I know one thing from another    I can  soften   my    eyes   and  look   up                           I  can   ask  the five  men   pointing  to heaven  why   they killed  their  brother         but I know   they  think     by  now     for   love             I can   soften    my   eyes     I can   burn   the bible    while   I recite     it      I can be   that  unfussy    I can shrug  instead of boast  or  resist     but  I won’t    not  for nothin