Thursday, June 3, 2010

'It's a guide to our 'destruction' discipline


There are times when the white critic must sit down and listen. If he cannot listen he must not concern himself with black creativity. I dreamed of a prince who would come and save me from being white . I mean from being black . I became immortal. It's been at least 250 years. I am very proud. They call me "fresh" and "different." "A brown-skinned looker" I wanted to thank them, but they committed suicide to the sound of their own voices before I made it to the auditorium. I made it though. And the craze continues. For reasons too private to expose to critics. I want to say that it is a black thing, or a white thing, but it's more a matter of privacy fetish than affiliation. But if you can stop the craze in its tracks maybe the explanation won't be necessary. Nor that kind of disrespect, disguised as praise, dismissed as praise. Discovered as praise. Until you catch it praying. Until you get caught praying to a complete stranger. I'm moving forward toward my myth